Special Merit Award
Presented to a person, group or organization in recognition of distinctive support for the purposes and goals of the Association for the Study of Higher Education.
Call for Nominations
To submit a nomination you will need the following information to complete the form:
- Name, Title, Position, Institution, Email, and Phone Number of Coordinating Nominator
- Name, Title, Position, Institution, Email, and Phone Number of Nominee
- A nomination statement up to 750 words which explains why the nominee deserves this ASHE award. Rationale may include, but is not limited to, the nominee’s impact on higher education theorizing, research, practice, and/or ASHE as an organization.
- 2-3 letters of support. For upload into the nomination form, these should be combined into one document, preferably a pdf.
- The nominee's CV.
New for 2020: Each nominee will be limited to one nomination. In the event multiple nominations are submitted, the committee chair will notify the coordinating nominators requesting they consolidate their nominations with the best three letters.
Previous Special Merit Award recipients:
- 2016 Higher Education Research Institute at UCLA
- 2015 Inside Higher Ed
- 2011 Institute for Higher Education Policy
- 2010 The National Center for Public Policy and Higher Education
- 2009 No Recipient
- 2008 The National Resource Center for The First-Year Experience and Students in Transition, University of South Carolina
- 2006 United Negro College Fund
- 2005 Samuel E. Kellams
- 2004 Jerry Davis/Lumina
- 2003 University of Michigan Affirmative Action Defense Team
- 2002 Walter R. Allen
- 2001 Clifford Adelman & Deborah Wilds
- 2000 Michael Olivas
- 1995 Lavina Fielding Anderson
- 1993 Walter Hobbs
- 1992 Jossey-Bass Incorporated Publishers
- 1989 Peggy Heim & Robert Silverman