ASHE Executive Director Search
ASSOCIATION FOR THE STUDY OF HIGHER EDUCATION (ASHE)
The Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE) seeks an Executive Director to manage and lead this 2000-member scholarly society dedicated to higher education as a field of study. As the chief executive and lead officer, the Executive Director reports to the ASHE Board of Directors. Together, they set the vision and priorities that provide direction for the Association.
Leadership: define vision and strategy, develop effective processes, oversee finances and operations.
Understanding of Higher Education: appreciate higher education research, communicate to a broad audience, identify emerging trends and issues.
Oversight of Conferences and Events: oversee annual meeting, special events, and conference staff.
Fundraising, Donor Cultivation and Relations: lead efforts to secure grants and other external funding.
External Relations: represent and advocate for higher education research with diverse constituencies, network with other professional and scholarly associations.
Board Management and Governance: guide and support the Board, foster supportive working environment for the association’s volunteers.
Team Management: supervise and cultivate a high-performing team, engage productively with host institution University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). Supervision includes two full-time staff (conferences and events & financial) plus 2-4 graduate assistants and interns. The ASHE office is headquartered at UNLV through December 31, 2024.
Preferred experience and skills include:
- Advanced degree, preferably terminal degree in higher education, social sciences, nonprofit management, or closely related field
- A track record of significant accomplishments and success leading an organization, including leading and mentoring staff and demonstrated capacity to lead and support boards, members, and volunteers
- Knowledge of membership databases, academic proposal submission systems, word processing programs, and spreadsheet programs
- Proven commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice
- Proven track record leading projects with structured timelines and executing large event logistics
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Capacity to maintain energy, enthusiasm, flexibility, and a healthy sense of humor
The organization: Through its peer-reviewed publications, annual conference sessions, and other intellectual and professional events, ASHE promotes scholarly discourse and debate about important issues and ideas in the study of higher education. Core values of ASHE are inclusion, diversity, and equity, and the Executive Director will be expected to lead the association in those areas.
Submission process and inquiries:
Candidates should submit electronically a letter of application describing their vision for ASHE and their relevant experience, a curriculum vitae, and a list of three references.
Applications, inquiries, and nominations should be submitted to:
Dr. Linda Eisenmann, Search Chair, at ASHEedsearch@gmail.com
The complete position description is linked here as a PDF.
Review of applications will begin October 1. Ideally, finalists will be interviewed by the ASHE Board of Directors at the annual meeting in November, 2018.