CIHE Mentoring Program
The ASHE Council for International Higher Education (CIHE) offers annual Mentoring Roundtables for Early Career Scholars and Graduate Students as part of the ASHE-CIHE Pre-conference Forum
What is the Mentoring Roundtables event?
The CIHE Pre-Conference Mentoring Roundtables event is an informal networking opportunity, hosted by the CIHE Executive Committee. The Mentoring Roundtables event will provide opportunities to create new connections and potential mentoring relationships between faculty, staff, researchers, practitioners, and students who are interested in international/comparative higher education.
When is the Mentoring Roundtables event?
The Mentoring Roundtables event will be held on Wednesday, November 13th from 11:45am to 1:15pm. Refer to the online schedule for the most-up-to-date room and time information.
What can I expect if I participate in the event?
Early- and later-career participants can join roundtables that are based on career and research interests. Each roundtable will be facilitated by established and senior scholars. Tables will be labeled by topic and facilitator. For a list of topics and facilitators, please visit the CIHE Mentoring website. (Please Note: This list is tentative and is subject to change.)
As this is an informal event, there will be no formal welcome. When you walk into the ballroom, simply locate the table(s) you wish to join and take a seat! We will also have a few "unassigned" tables that can be used for networking and speaking about other topics of interest.
We will also be providing a free lunch to ALL who attend, so come hungry—for lunch AND for networking!
What if I didn't register for this event?
That's okay! Registering for the Mentoring Roundtables event is no longer required. We received so much interest in the event that we have opened it for everyone who has registered for the CIHE Pre-Conference. Many of you did register to participate in this event or have volunteered to be a facilitator—and we are very thankful!
If you have any further questions about the CIHE Pre-Conference Mentoring Roundtables event, please email Kayla Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
2019 Mentors & Topics
Transforming a Class Paper to Publication:
- Pilar Mendoza, University of Missouri
- Betty Leask, La Trobe University/Boston College
Navigating the Faculty Job Market/Process:
- Jeongeun Kim, Arizona State University
- Frank Fernandez, University of Mississippi
- Katie Koo, Texas A&M University-Commerce
Navigating the Non-Faculty Job Market/Process:
- Shanna Saubert, NAFSA: Association of International Educators
- Kayla Johnson, University of Cincinnati
Articulating a Research Agenda/Preparing a Research Statement:
- Chris Glass, Old Dominion University
- David Hoffman, University of Jyväskylä
Opportunities and Challenges of Postdocs and Visiting Positions:
- Meseret Hailu, Arizona State University
- Matthew Witenstein, University of Dayton
Facilitating International Collaborations:
- Gerardo Blanco, University of Connecticut
- Chrystal George Mwangi, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Searching for Jobs Outside of the US:
- Charles Mathies, University of Jyväskylä
- Anatoly Oleksiyenko, University of Hong Kong
Navigating the Role of a Public Intellectual/Social Media & Free Speech:
- Abby Ferber, University of Colorado-Colorado Springs
- Brendan Cantwell, Michigan State University
CIHE Mentoring Committee
- Kayla Johnson, McGill University, email@example.com
- Santiago Castiello-Gutiérrez, University of Arizona, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Christina Yao, University of South Carolina, email@example.com
Event Date and Time
- Wednesday, November 13, 2019
- 11:45am-1:15pm (Lunch will be provided!)
- There is no registration fee for this program. However, participants agree to register, pay for, and attend the CIHE Pre-conference, which begins on Wednesday, November 13, 2019.