CIHE Mentoring Program
Tuesday, October 27, 2020
11:00am-1:30pm CENTRAL/New Orleans TIME
EVENT WILL BE HELD VIRTUALLY
The ASHE Council for International Higher Education (CIHE) offers annual Mentoring Roundtables for Early Career Scholars and Graduate Students in connection with ASHE CIHE Pre-conference Forum. Attendees of the CIHE Pre-conference forum can attend this event free of charge, and those not attending the CIHE Pre-conference Forum can register for a small fee.
What are the CIHE Virtual Mentoring Roundtables?
The main goal of the CIHE Virtual Mentoring Roundtables is to facilitate new connections and potential mentoring relationships between faculty, staff, researchers, and students who are interested in international and comparative higher education.
The Virtual Mentoring Roundtables values supportive, mutually beneficial, and authentic mentoring relationships where both mentees and the mentors can be personally involved and become connected through a rewarding online experience. The Virtual Mentoring Roundtables is based on the commitment to offering a safe platform that will encourage and promote ongoing learning and growth, both personally and professionally, to all our participants.
What will the CIHE Virtual Mentoring Roundtables look like?
While authentic mentoring relationships take time and repeated encounters to develop, this initial virtual meeting can provide opportunities for scholars and practitioners at different career stages to network and develop relationships within the ASHE-CIHE community. In order to accomplish this goal, will join virtual roundtables that are based on career and research interests, needs, and goals. Each ‘roundtable’ will be in the form of a virtual meeting room where an established scholar will facilitate an informal discussion on a specific topic.
This year’s table topics may include:
- Navigating the Faculty Job Market
- Searching for Jobs Inside the US as an International Scholar
- Searching for Jobs Outside of the US
- Navigating the Non-Faculty Job Market
- Articulating a Research Agenda & Preparing a Research Statement
- Facilitating International Collaborations / Networking
- Publishing as a Graduate Student
- Teaching as a Graduate Student
- Opportunities and Challenges for Lecturers and Visiting Scholars
These roundtables will run concurrently for two 45-minute sessions. Participants will be pre-assigned to their top two table choices (as indicated during registration), but just as with in-person roundtables, participants will also be able to freely enter and exit the virtual meeting rooms as they wish, affording opportunities to chat with many different mentors on many different topics.
- Identify helpful resources for scholars and practitioners working in the field of international and comparative higher education.
- Develop tools and strategies for navigating the academic and/or non-academic job market.
- Create a network of mentors and/or peers with similar interests and goals.
- Develop strategies for success as a graduate student or early career scholar/practitioner.
2020 Tentative Schedule
- Welcome and Introductions
- Roundtable Session #1
- Coffee Break
- Roundtable Session #2
- Participants/Mentees must register and pay for the CIHE Pre-conference by October 20 (Note: Late registration for the CIHE Pre-Conference begins on 10/16 so we recommend registering prior to this).
- If a mentor or mentee does not register for the CIHE Pre-Conference, they will be charged a $10 Mentor Program registration fee.