2023 CIHE Mentoring & Networking Program
CIHE Networking Roundtables Program
Thursday, April 6, 2023
11:00 am-1:30 pm Central/Minneapolis Time
EVENT WILL BE HELD VIRTUALLY
The ASHE Council for International Higher Education (CIHE) offers annual Networking Roundtables for Early Career Scholars and Graduate Students, as well as more seasoned Scholars in connection with ASHE CIHE Pre-conference Forum. Attendees of the CIHE Pre-conference forum can attend this event free of charge, and those not attending the CIHE Pre-conference Forum can register for a small fee.
What are the CIHE Networking Roundtables?
The main goal of the CIHE Networking Roundtables is to facilitate new connections and potential relationships between faculty, staff, researchers, and students who are interested in international and comparative higher education.
The Networking Roundtables value supportive, mutually beneficial, and authentic relationships where participants can build professional connections through a rewarding online experience. The Networking Roundtables are based on the commitment to offering a safe and supportive platform that will encourage and promote ongoing learning and growth, both personally and professionally, to all our participants.
What will the CIHE Networking Roundtables look like?
While authentic mentoring relationships take time and repeated encounters to develop, this initial virtual meeting can provide opportunities for scholars and practitioners at different career stages to network and develop relationships within the ASHE-CIHE community. In order to accomplish this goal, participants will join virtual roundtables that are based on career and research interests, needs, and goals. Each ‘roundtable’ will be in the form of a virtual meeting room where an established scholar will facilitate an informal discussion on a specific topic.
- Identify helpful resources for scholars and practitioners working in the field of international and comparative higher education.
Share advice and insights about common challenges in planning and conducting work in the field of international and comparative higher education.
- Develop tools and strategies for navigating academic and/or non-academic careers.
- Create a network of mentors, colleagues, and/or peers with similar interests and goals.
- Develop strategies for success to support one's professional pursuits as a scholar/practitioner
- Welcome and Introductions
- Structured Roundtable Session #1
- Speed Round “Coffee Chats”: This will be a more informal time to simulate a coffee break but in a virtual setting. All participants will be randomly grouped into mini chat clusters, for “speed rounds” to introduce themselves and briefly respond to a question prompt. In this short activity, you will grow your connections by about 8-10 people across the CIHE community.
- Roundtable Session #2
- Closing Remarks
- Publishing and Teaching as a Graduate Student
- Navigating the Tenure Track Faculty Job Market/Process
- Searching for Jobs Inside the US as an International Scholar
- Searching for Jobs Outside of the US
- Navigating Non-Faculty and Alt-Academic Careers
- Higher Education Leadership Positions in International Contexts
- Internationalization and your Research Agenda/Preparing a Research Statement
- Building and Sustaining International Professional Relationships
- Coping and Finding Community- Facing COVID, Work-From-Home, Job Loss/Unemployment, and Work-Related stressors
- Virtual Classrooms and Virtual Exchanges for International and Comparative Learning
- International and Comparative Dimensions of Equity and Inclusion Work
Cassie L. Barnhardt
University of Iowa
Please feel free to reach out to the event chair with questions about the content of the event. Questions about registration or event logistics can be directed to the ASHE Office at (202) 660-4106 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For participants who attended the 2022 CIHE Pre-Conference, this event is covered through your Pre-Conference registration fee.
- If you did not attend the CIHE Pre-Conference, the registration fee is $10 for ASHE members & $25 for non-members
- All ASHE Professional Development events encourage participants to engage throughout the event in various ways. To provide an environment that is conducive to learning and engagement, and to provide a safe and supportive space (to the extent possible), Professional Development events are not recorded.
Mentor/ Roundtable Leader Interest Form
If you are interested in participating as a mentor or Roundtable leader, please click here to submit an interest form. Mentors and Roundtable leaders do not need to register for the event. The CIHE/ASHE leadership team will manage mentor registration at a later date