Early Career Award
The Early Career Award will be presented in recognition of an emerging, significant, and potential for the future of a body of scholarship.
Nomination Evaluation Criteria
When reviewing nominations, the awards committee will make decisions based on the following preferred and demonstrated attributes:
- A focused primary research agenda
- Publication(s) that has the potential to advance the field (measured by quality, not quantity) in rigorous venues
- Translation of research through conference presentations and practitioner-centered publication(s)
- Publication of methodology, methodological issue, and/or use of innovative methodology
- A research record exceptional for their time in the field
This award is reserved for individuals who are no more than six years beyond the receipt of the doctoral degree as of July 1 of the year of the award (e.g., for 2022, a nominee/recipient must have been awarded their doctoral degree after July 1, 2016).
2023 Awards Timeline
- Nominations for the 2023 award season are now closed. Nominations will open in early May 2024 and close in late June 2024.
Due to the number of submissions and the review process, no late submissions will be accepted; as such, nominators are encouraged to submit their nominations well in advance of this deadline.
- Nominators and nominees will be informed of decisions in mid-September.
- An announcement of recipients will be sent to the ASHE membership in late September.
- The recipient(s) will be recognized during the ASHE Awards Ceremony during the Annual Conference.
Each submission will need:
- Name, Title, Position, Institution, Email, and Phone Number of Coordinating Nominator
- Name, Title, Position, Institution, Email, and Phone Number of Nominee
- A nomination statement up to 750 words that demonstrates the nominee's match to the award evaluation criteria.This should not be a nomination or support letter, but a summary of the nominee's qualifications for this specific award.
- 2-3 letters of support. For upload into the nomination form, these should be combined into one document, preferably a pdf.
- The nominee's CV.
Due to the increased number of nominations received in recent years, each nominee will be limited to one nomination. In the event multiple nominations are submitted, the committee chair will notify the coordinating nominators requesting they consolidate their nominations.
The coordinating nominator, as well as the award nominee(s) (and subsequently recipient(s)), must be current members of ASHE.
Questions about the 2023 award process can be sent to email@example.com.
Nominations for 2024 will open in early May 2024.
The ASHE Awards Committee is a standing committee of the Board of Directors. Committee members are recommended by the President to the Board of Directors and service 1-3 year terms.
2023 Committee Members:
- Raquel Rall (Chair), University of California, Riverside
- Beth Bukoski (Board Rep), Virginia Commonwealth University
- Emily VanZoest (Grad Rep), North Carolina State University
- Matthew Witenstein, University of Dayton
- Julie Park, University of Maryland, College Park
- Sylvia Martinez, Indiana University
- Eugene Parker, University of Kansas
2022: Adrián H. Huerta
- 2021:Cindy Ann Kilgo (YouTube Link)
- 2020: Jessica C. Harris (YouTube Link)
- 2019: Z Nicolazzo (YouTube Link)
- 2018: Eddie R. Cole (YouTube Link)
- 2017: Julie R. Posselt
- 2016: Manuel S. Gonzalez Canche
- 2015: Liliana M. Garces
- 2014: Julie J. Park
- 2013: Kimberly A. Griffin
- 2012: Nicholas A. Bowman
- 2011: Samuel D. Museus
- 2010: Lori Patton Davis
- 2009: Terrell L. Strayhorn
- 2008: Shaun R. Harper
- 2007: Paul D. Umbach
- 2006: Marybeth Gasman
- 2005: Brian Pusser
- 2004: anthony lising antonio
- 2003: Laura W. Perna
- 2002: Donald E. Heller
- 2001: M. Christopher Brown II
- 2000: Linda Hagedorn & Lisa Wolf-Wendel
- 1999: Linda J. Sax
- 1998: Jennifer Grant Haworth
- 1997: Robert Rhoads
- 1996: Eric Dey
- 1995: Sylvia Hurtado & Elizabeth Whitt
- 1993: Alberto Cabrera & Patricia Gumport
- 1991: Amaury Nora
Previous ASHE Promising Scholar Award Recipients:
- 1990: Fran Stage
- 1989: Ann Austin