Early Career Faculty Workshop
Tuesday, September 28, 2021
1:00pm-5:00pm Atlantic/San Juan Time
Event will be held virtually
Now in its 14th year, the Council for the Advancement of Higher Education Programs (CAHEP) offers an Early Career Faculty Workshop to assistant professors, new associate professors in higher education programs, and advanced doctoral students at the dissertation stage who intend to become faculty.
A diverse group of recently tenured faculty and senior scholars from around the country share advice and expertise about how to craft and develop a research agenda, effectively teach and advise, earn tenure and promotion, and shape a successful and meaningful career.
Who should attend:
- Pre-tenured faculty members
Early Career Clinical or Adjunct Faculty
- Administrators who have recently joined the faculty at any rank
After the workshop, attendees will be able to:
- Identify opportunities and challenges associated with earning P&T at different institutional types
- Apply advice from senior scholars towards becoming an effective instructor and advisor
- Describe one approach for developing and maintaining a research agenda as a faculty member
- Commit to one strategy for developing a reasonable but productive service activity
2021 Preliminary Schedule
(Full schedule will be released closer to the event)
- Session 1: Panel Discussion: How to get Tenure: Advice from Recently Tenured Faculty
- Session 2: Breakout Room Discussion: How to Be an Effective Teacher and Advisor
- Session 3: Facilitated Small Group Discussions
- Developing a Research Agenda
- Thinking/Re-thinking Service
- Wrap Up & Reflections
Iowa State University
Please feel free to reach out to the event chair with questions about the content of the event. Questions about registration or event logistics can be directed to the ASHE Office at (702) 895-2737 or email@example.com.
- The workshop fee of $30 for ASHE members and $50 for non-members.
- The fee is typically expected to be covered by program directors or coordinators for the in-person event. We strongly encourage programs to cover the registration fee for the virtual event as well. If additional documentation is needed, please contact ASHE Executive Director Jason Guilbeau at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Registration Closes and Payment Deadline: September 21, Noon Atlantic/San Juan Time
- Learn more about accessibility for this event at www.ashe.ws/accessibilityvirtual2021
All ASHE Professional Development events encourage participants to engage throughout the event in various ways. To provide an environment that is conducive to learning and engagement and to provide a safe space (to the extent possible), Professional Development events are not recorded.