Conference Travel Scholarships
Application EVALUATION CRITERIATo qualify for a scholarship, an application must be:
- A current member of ASHE.
- A graduate student.
- Each application will be reviewed by at least two reviewers.
- The review is a masked review and identifying information of each applicant should be removed prior to distribution to the committee. Any reviewer who identifies a conflict of interest will have the specific review re-assigned.
- The rubric used will be based on the 7 criteria listed above to ensure objectivity and consistency in review.
- Applications for the 2021 Graduate Student Travel Scholarship will open on June 2, 2021
- Applications are due on July 12, 2021 at Noon Pacific
- Notifications will be sent out in mid-August 2021.
Notification & Fund Distribution
- Once recipients are selected, the committee chair will work with the Executive Director to notify recipients.
- The scholarship is to be used by graduate students who are studying at an educational institution that normally maintains a regular faculty and curriculum and normally has a regularly organized body of students in attendance at the place where the educational activities are carried on. Scholarships should be used to support travel to the ASHE General Conference. As such, the scholarship is not taxable as detailed at: https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/private-foundations/grants-to-individuals.
- Awardees will receive the scholarship within four weeks of notification of selection. Prior to distributing the check, the Executive Director will confirm conference registration of the recipient. The Executive Director will also confirm attendance after the conference; if a recipient does not attend the conference, the funds will be due back to the Association.
Expectations of recipients
- Recipients will write a donor thank you letter to be distributed to the next year’s donors.
- Serve as a reviewer for the 2022 scholarship process.
- The Scholarship Committee will work with the Executive Director and leadership volunteers to determine ways in which scholarship recipients can give back to the association. This may include assisting with graduate student programming at the annual conference, writing a blog post, and/or serving as a scholarship application reviewer in subsequent years. This will be communicated in the award letter.
The Graduate Student Scholarship Committee shall determine an application and review process as well as select recipients. There shall be five members of the committee: a chair who will serve a one-year term as vice chair and a one-year term as chair, one member who will serve a one-year term, one member of the Board of Directors who will serve a one-year term, and the Executive Director serving ex officio and without a vote. At least two of the voting members of this committee should be graduate students. Members will be appointed by the Board of Directors at the recommendation of the President who will confer with Graduate Student Members of the Board.
- Chair: Karen Bussey*, Howard University
- Vice Chair: Erin Satterwhite*, The Ohio State University
- Member: Vanessa Na*, University of California, San Diego
- Board Member: Judy Kiyama, University of Arizona
- ASHE Executive Director: Jason Guilbeau (ex officio, non-voting)
The committee will appoint reviewers from the pool of previous award recipients who are current members of the Association or other reviewers who are current members of the Association as necessary. Reviewers are typically past scholarship recipients.
Contact ASHE Executive Director Dr. Jason P. Guilbeau at email@example.com or call (702) 895-2737.