Call for Graduate Student Committee
Programming and opportunities for graduate students within ASHE continue to grow each year. Many of these have been coordinated by the two Graduate Student Representatives on the ASHE Board of Directors. However, as the Association continues to grow, the work of supporting graduate student programming and engagement and coordination of these efforts throughout the Association cannot solely rest with two individuals. We are excited to expand opportunities for involvement for graduate students through the newly created ASHE Graduate Student Committee. This was a stated goal in the ASHE 2020-2023 ASHE Strategic Plan. This committee will take on various programs and events focused on graduate students while also connecting with current graduate student volunteers throughout the Association (e.g., graduate student members of Council Executive Committees).
ASHE Graduate Student Board Members Eileen Galvez and Charlie A. Scott are seeking applications for the following positions:
- Graduate Student Committee Chair (1-year term): This person will lead the committee throughout the year, including leading committee meetings, meeting with the ASHE Staff, and creating an overall shared vision and strategy for the committee.
- Graduate Student Committee Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect (1-year term as Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect and a 1-year term as Chair): This person will be the Chair-Elect and will shadow the Chair throughout the year. This person will develop a call for applications for their year as Chair and select and recruit committee members.
- Professional Development Co-Coordinators (1 Co-Coordinator will serve a 1-year term and 1 will serve a 2-year term): This team will coordinate ASHE Grads Twitter Chats and webinars throughout the year as well as one breakout session and the ASHE Grads Luncheon at the annual conference.
- Web and Social Media Co-Coordinators (1 Co-Coordinator will serve a 1-year term and 1 will serve a 2-year term): This team will coordinate the social media strategy of the ASHE Grads Twitter and Facebook accounts. They will also work with the ASHE Staff on updating the ASHE Grads section of the ASHE website.
- Social and Networking Co-Coordinators (1 Co-Coordinator will serve a 1-year term and 1 will serve a 2-year term): This team will coordinate the various social and networking events hosted by ASHE Grads throughout the year and during the annual conference. This includes the Graduate Student Lounge and Conversations over Coffee during the annual conference.
Time CommitmentThe commitment is on average 4-5 hours per month.
- The Committee will meet monthly (or as needed)
- The Committee will meet monthly with other graduate student leaders within the Association (e.g., Graduate Student Board Members, CEP Graduate Student Rep, CIHE Graduate Student Liaison, etc.)
- Work outside of these meetings will vary depending on the position (e.g., the Web and Social Media Coordinator may need to check social media once a day and the Professional Development Co-Coordinators may have more of a time commitment as events approach and on event days)
Preferred QualificationsMembers of the Committee must:
- Be Graduate Student members of the Association in good standing throughout their term in office
- Agree to uphold the policies of the Association including the Conflict of Interest Policy and ethics policies (including appropriate disclosure)
- Appropriate experience or interest in their respective position:
- Chair/Vice-Chair: Experience leading others
- Professional Development Co-Coordinators & Social and Networking Co-Coordinators: Experience planning events; ideally have attended at least one ASHE Conference
- Web and Social Media Coordinator: Experience with web and social media (ideally including graphic design)
CompensationThis is a volunteer position; no compensation is provided.
Application and Appointment ProcessApplications are due on Monday, March 21 at Noon Pacific. ASHE Graduate Student Board Members Eileen Galvez and Charlie A. Scott will review applications and make initial appointments. Applicants will be notified in early to mid-April.
To apply for this position, please you will submit the following:
- Telphone Number
- Select the position(s) for which you are applying
- Which ASHE conferences have you attended?
- Agreement to ASHE Policies (Conflict of Interest, Ethics, and Diversity)
- What are your prior experiences related to the position(s) for which you are applying? [up to 150 words]
- What are your hopes and aspirations for the graduate student committee? [up to 150 words]
- A CV that includes related and relevant experience