The Director of College Advising develops and executes a strategic vision for Newcomb-Tulane College Academic Advising. The College Advising unit includes 35+ staff members. This dynamic organization supports the progress and completion of 8,000+ Tulane undergraduate students in the undergraduate college, which awards more than 1,500 bachelor’s degrees per year. This important unit leader oversees four Associate Directors who manage the operations, degree completion functions, and strategic student engagement and student athletes.
The Director is a member of the Retention and Strategic leadership team and collaborates with leaders in student support as well as contribute to strategic planning in the areas of retention, graduation, and the first-year experience. This position carries out the mission and values of Newcomb-Tulane College as well as Tulane’s Strategy for Tomorrow initiatives to ensure that BIPOC student support is a priority in advising. The Director oversees assessment and data reporting for the College Advising unit as well as strategic partnerships with school units as they deliver major advising.
This position is a exempt, salaried position assigned to pay grade 27. Tulane offers a variety of options to enhance your health and well-being so that you may enjoy more out of life now and in the future. Learn more about Life at Tulane as well as our Benefits and Pay. See our Candidate Resources to learn more about our hiring process and what to expect.
Director of College Advising
New Orleans, LA
This position is a exempt, salaried position assigned to pay grade 27
Posting Start Date:
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Ability to work weekends during special events
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Effective time management skills
• Excellent project management skills
• Great attention to detail
• Ability to process and easily reference policies and regulations
• Ability to work with CRM, Banner, Degree Works, and other software as needed.
• Working knowledge of standard computer software such as office suite, email, etc. and ability to learn and utilize specific software necessary for academic and career advising practice
• Ability and desire for continuous improvement and learning academic advising management best practices
• Ability to motivate and inspire students and teams
• Ability to resolve complaints
Required Education and/or Experience
• Master’s Degree with 5 years of experience in academic and career advising (including experience with mentoring advisors and leading projects)
• Bachelor’s Degree with 8 years of experience in academic and career advising (including experience with mentoring advisors and leading projects)Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities/Competencies: