The Data Analyst is a vital member of the Moody School for Graduate and Advanced Studies (Moody School), who will work closely with the members of the Enrollment Management Research Group (EMRG) and the Office of Institutional Research (IR) all nested within the Office of the Provost.
The data analyst will be directed by the Moody School on the projects critical for better data and data informed decisions related to graduate studies, especially those at the doctoral level. This data will inform the enrollment, retention and success, and graduation strategies, programs, and activities for the Moody School specifically and the Office of the Provost broadly.
Work closely with the senior data analyst for EMRG and as directed by the Dean and Assistant Dean of the Moody School to meet the University's institutional graduate enrollment goals for academic quality, diversity, revenue, retention and graduation.
- Work closely with the Moody School, the various schools and college, IR and EMRG colleagues to determine the best way to make the data analysis results useful to a variety of end users through varied reporting means and display types.
- Write up results in comprehensible terms for a non-technical audience.
- Generate charts and tables that aid in the explanation of results and data understanding.
- Work with colleagues across the campus to improve data quality and reliability, helping those colleagues understand the importance of good data quality and the impact on valid and reliable information for university decision make
- Develop reporting solutions within available applications.
- Develop an in-depth understanding fo the various data systems across the SMU campus as they relate to graduate students, and how to best structure, find and extract the necessary data elements for reporting and analyses.
- Seek out and keep abreast of new literature, methods andn analytical tools as well as institutional best practices for undergraduate enrollment and success.
To apply for this position, visit: https://smu.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobdetail.ftl?job=SIM00000108&tz=GMT-06%3A00&tzname=America%2FChicago
||Southern Methodist University
|Posting Start Date:
||Bachelor's degree is required. A degree in the field of data science, computer or information sciences or a related field is preferred. One to two years of work experience as a data analyst or related work is required. Work experience specifically with relational databases is preferred. Work experience in a team environment is highly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Candidate must demonstrate strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Must also demonstrate strong written communication skills.
- A strong customer service orientation is essential.
- Candidate must possess strong problem-solving skills with the ability to identify and analyze problems, as well as devise solutions. Must also have strong organizational, planning and time management skills.
- A strong attention to detail and the ablility to provide accurate information are essential.
- Candidate must have the ability to understand the mechanics of software applications, the interplay between the underlying data structures and how it can be organized, processed, summarized and displayed in a user interface.
- Candidate must also have a strong desire to learn, not just the data elements, but what is useful or not, discovering any pitfalls when joining data across related tables and employing troubleshooting and puzzle-solving skills.
- The ability to listen well to others and clearly report data analysis and results to others is essential.
- Candidate must be able to take constructive feedback and work in an interative fashion.
- Must also have the ability to handle sensitive information with complete confidentiality and professionalism.
- Candidate must be proficient with database structures and proficient using Microsoft Office Suite, including Microsoft Access and Excel.
- Exposure to Structured Query Language (SQL) via any tool or application is required.
- Experience with or knowledge of one or more statistical software packages like SAS, SPSS, R is desired.
- Prior work experience with PeopleSoft is highly desired.
- Prior work experience with Banner, Salesforce or similar systems is a plus.
||This listing expires on: 4/17/2021