Dean of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education
The School of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education at the University of Wisconsin - Whitewater seeks a Dean of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education. This will be a full-time Limited appointment serving at the pleasure of the Chancellor. To learn more about this type of appointment please see the UW System Administrative Policy 1251: Appointment Terms & Designation of Positions
and the Personnel Rules
The Dean is responsible for the leadership, administration and operations of the School of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education in support of the School’s mission, which is to provide high quality and practitioner-oriented graduate programs as well as to support lifelong learning for students of all ages.
Areas of responsibility in this position include articulating a shared vision and priorities; developing a plan for reaching that vision and achieving goals; supporting student recruitment, retention and graduation; supporting program growth and innovation; fostering a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion; ensuring academic integrity; encouraging and supporting excellence in teaching, research/scholarly activity and service; promoting collegiality and collaborative relationships across departments, schools and divisions as well as externally to address community continuing education needs; managing the fiscal well-being of the School; supporting effective assessment of student learning; and developing relationships with alumni, donor, corporate, and community stakeholders.
The Dean is directly responsible for facilitating, coordinating, and advancing graduate education, credit and non-credit outreach programs, and summer and winter sessions. In addition, the Dean oversees campus offices that support professional development to faculty and staff, academic assessment for campus academic programs, and research and sponsored programs. The Dean chairs the Graduate Council and serves as a member of the Academic Affairs Leadership and the Deans Council. This is a full-time, 12-month limited administrative appointment reporting to the Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
- Provide transformative vision, leadership and advocacy for the School and reporting units.
- Implement a strategic plan that leads the School to regional and national recognition and is aligned with broader university strategic goals and priorities (http://www.uww.edu/strategicplan).
- Support student recruitment, retention and graduation.
- Assure ongoing quality, integrity and continuous improvement in the School’s academic graduate program array, and in both traditional and online programs in order to ensure strong enrollment and sustainable vitality.
- Promote the value of liberal education through School programs and university collaborations.
- Manage the fiscal well-being of the School, including identifying and attracting new resources and supporting the growth of new credit and non-credit programs that meet campus, regional, and national needs.
- Support research, assessment of student learning, and professional development of faculty and instructional staff.
- Establish and maintain a cooperative, collegial work climate which enhances communication, trust, and productivity of and among faculty, administrative staff, support staff and students.
- Work with University Advancement to establish and achieve philanthropic goals and build relationships that advance the goals of the School.
- Provide leadership to initiatives that foster and enhance inclusive excellence and multicultural and global competence in the School.
- Participate as a member of the university administration and work collegially and collaboratively with leadership across the university to support university priorities.
- Promote School interests, activities and partnerships with the surrounding community as well as regionally, nationally and internationally.
- Other duties as assigned.
To apply for this position, visit: https://www.uww.edu/employment/academic-staff-non-instructional/posting?listing=2015
Dean of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education
||University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
|Posting Start Date:
- A terminal degree in a university-related discipline with a distinguished record of accomplishment in the areas of teaching, research, and service that would merit appointment as a tenured Full Professor in one of the departments of the university
- Five or more years of prior experience as a department chair, assistant/associate dean, director or other equivalent and progressive administrative experience
- Evidence of visionary leadership, innovation, strategic planning and execution
- Significant experience in leading graduate education and/or continuing education programs
- A record of transparent, strategic and effective fiscal management
- A record of progressively more responsible administrative experience that demonstrates a commitment to collaborative leadership and responsible management that fosters trust, respect and successful working relationships with students, faculty, staff and administrators
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a commitment to promoting a collegial, collaborative work and learning environment
- Demonstrated evidence of a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of shared governance
- Commitment to the values of liberal education as envisioned in the university’s mission
- Evidence of commitment to academic excellence, student success, and cultural diversity
- Demonstrated commitment to servant leadership, personal and professional integrity, and creating a climate of support and advocacy that ensures the success of diverse populations within the School
- Evidence of success in fundraising, including grants and philanthropy, public relations, working with advisory/community boards, and communications to external stakeholders
- Familiarity with the accreditation standards associated with the University and with programs within the School
||This listing expires on: 6/5/2021