Post-Doctoral Research & Policy Analyst
This position serves the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission (Commission) and the West Virginia Council for Community and Technical College Education (Council) whose offices are located in Charleston, West Virginia.
Classification: Full Time, Non-Classified, Exempt, Benefits-Eligible
Reporting to the Senior Director of Research and Policy, the Post-Doctoral Research and Policy Analyst is responsible for gathering, analyzing, and interpreting West Virginia specific higher education data to provide accurate and meaningful information to stakeholders (institutions, researchers, legislators, etc.). The position is also responsible for performing independent research that informs West Virginia education policy as well as drafting statutorily mandated and ad hoc higher education reports and publications. The position offers opportunities for advanced training and professional development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responds to time-critical ad hoc requests by conducting mini-research projects, writing reports, and presenting data to technical and non-technical audiences, such as internal HEPC/CTCS staff, campus administrators, education researchers, and state legislators.
- Produces and updates annual agency reports and digital data resources. These include statutorily mandated higher education reports, including but not limited to the WV Higher Education Almanac, Graduation Report, Enrollment Report, and Financial Aid Comprehensive Report as well as the agency’s web-based data portal.
- Processes data (collecting, cleaning, recoding, organizing, extracting, analyzing, and summarizing data) for internal use, external surveys and compliance reporting.
- Ensures that data are collected accurately, analyzed rigorously, and shared with key stakeholders to assist in the data informed needs of the agency.
- Gathers and analyzes data using various software tools, including spreadsheets, data warehouse, statistical packages, and data visualization tools.
- Uses tools such as Argos and Tableau to support and improve access to pertinent higher education data for policymakers, agency employees, campus personnel and the public.
- Conducts original, high-level research using a variety of methods (descriptive and inferential statistics, survey research, etc.) on topics that align with the agency’s research agenda and presents findings to stakeholders and policymakers.
- Coordinates external data requests and commissioned research projects involving third-party researchers.
- Develops and facilitates a comprehensive research agenda for the division and the agency.
- Designs surveys and other instruments to support data gathering.
- Participates and advises on survey design.
- Provides advice on research design and information resources.
- Leads survey implementation and survey data analysis efforts on a variety of research projects, including the High School Senior Opinions Survey.
- Undertakes thorough and comprehensive literature reviews to inform policy decisions.
- Serves on various committees such as, but not limited to, those for institutional reauthorization, evaluating external data and research requests, and supporting the state’s P-20 data system.
- Maintains currency of knowledge and skills relating to duties and responsibilities.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Priority will be given to applications received prior to June 30, 2021.
Qualified candidates must submit a letter of interest, a current resume, a professional writing sample, and titles, phone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references. Final candidates are subject to employment and credential verification, as well as reference and background checks. Submit all information electronically via e-mail with “Post-Doctoral Research and Policy Analyst” in the subject line to: Ms. Vickie Hairston, HR Representative, Senior at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer/Veterans/Disabled
To apply for this position, visit: https://www.wvhepc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Job-Announcement_PostDocResearchAndPolicyAnalyst_03June-2021.pdf
Post-Doctoral Research & Policy Analyst
||West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission
||Commensurate with experience.
|Posting Start Date:
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge about higher education administration and information needs.
- Ability to learn new data analysis and reporting software.
- Must have intermediate statistics proficiency. Advanced proficiency is preferred.
- Ability to produce accurate and timely analyses and reports in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of research design and data analysis.
- Ability to access and analyze a wide array of student-level, institutional, state, and national datasets.
- Ability to complete time-sensitive projects while adhering to prescribed deadlines.
- Ability to complete diverse tasks ranging from long-term, multi-stage research projects to fast-paced legislative data requests.
- Willingness to work in a collaborative environment and receive constructive feedback from colleagues.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and ability to learn new data analysis, visualization and reporting software.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal acumen, and the ability to work productively in a team environment.
- Must be highly organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to use analytical and reporting tools such as Tableau, Argos, SAS and SPSS preferred.
- Knowledge of SQL and/or PL/SQL is preferred but not required.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- An earned doctorate in higher education, public policy, or a related field is required. Candidates who have completed all requirements for a doctoral degree but have not yet completed the dissertation (ABD) may be considered.
- At least one year of applied or scholarly higher education research or institutional research experience is preferred.
||This listing expires on: 8/11/2021
|| Send to Friend|
|| Return to Job Search|
|| Post a Position|
West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission
1018 Kanawha Blvd. East
Charleston, WV 25301