Chief Diversity Officer
UW-Madison College of Agricultural and Life Sciences (CALS) seeks an accomplished and creative professional for the newly created position of Chief Diversity Officer (CDO) to help us grow our future. The successful candidate will advise the Dean, collaborate as a member of the Dean's senior leadership team, and partner with the Equity & Diversity Committee to advance the College's commitment to teaching, research, outreach, and service through Inclusive Excellence. The CDO will lead our new Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion and related strategic initiatives, and collaborate with key constituencies to support their efforts to develop and deploy programs. Activities could include those that contribute to the recruitment, retention, and success of underrepresented students, staff, and faculty; enhance the CALS curriculum and teaching practices toward ensuring understanding and access for all; support research excellence that reflects and values our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in creating new knowledge, and; serve as a resource for students, student organizations, staff, and faculty. Moreover, the CDO will serve on and contribute expertise to governance and college committees.
The successful candidate will be a leader who demonstrates cultural awareness and agility, exercises emotional intelligence, builds trust and credibility, and collaborates with a wide variety of stakeholders within a large complex organization and associated communities. The candidate will have experience and demonstrated success at creating an overarching diversity and inclusion strategy, and the ability to collect and use data to assess effectiveness. Furthermore, the individual will have outstanding organizational, problem-solving, and program design and implementation skills. The candidate will demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to collaborate with and advise students, student organizations, staff, and faculty from all backgrounds and identities.
- Establish and lead a new CALS Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, including the eventual supervision of two to three staff members and managing the budget to support innovation and excellence around equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI).
- Provide leadership to faculty, staff, and students to develop and implement strategic initiatives that promote the CALS's and UW-Madison's mission toward inclusive excellence.
- Connect with CALS departments and units to support localized initiatives related to our research, teaching, service, and outreach activities.
- Develop, implement, and review diversity-related policies and procedures that support department, center, and unit programming and planning to foster a diverse and inclusive community.
- Provide networking and collaboration opportunities for the CALS community around areas of diversity and inclusion.
- Evaluate and strengthen policies and practices, develop accountability measures, and establish benchmarks for EDI-related initiatives within CALS.
- Work with departments, centers, and units to enhance the ways in which diversity, equity, and inclusion are fostered at all levels within the CALS.
- Lead reporting and compliance activities related to EDI to include those to campus and other state and federal agencies (e.g., USDA Civil Rights).
- Serve on the dean's leadership team; partner with and provide guidance and recommendations to senior staff, department chairs, and directors on all EDI matters.
- Collaborate with CALS Academic Affairs Office and academic programs to develop and implement strategies to increase student access, recruitment, retention, and success.
- Collaborate with the CALS External Relations to document, publicize and highlight stories of outstanding contributions that reflect progress toward the school's goals for diversity and inclusive excellence.
- In partnership with the CALS Human Resources and the Senior Associate Dean, provide support, guidance, and recommendations for recruitment, hiring, and retention of faculty and staff to increase the diversity of our community.
- Collaborate with CALS and campus offices to develop and maintain robust initiatives that promote academic and professional success for diverse and/or underrepresented populations.
- Serve as the dean's representative for EDI-related matters on campus, including committees in the Office of the Vice Provost for Diversity.
- Identify and leverage internal and external resources to support equity, diversity, and inclusion.
To apply for this position, visit: https://jobs.hr.wisc.edu/en-us/job/509602/chief-diversity-officer-college-of-agricultural-life-sciences
Chief Diversity Officer
||University of Wisconsin-Madison, CALS
||Minimum: $85,000 annually
|Posting Start Date:
Minimum Years and Relevant Work Experience:
- More than 6 years of relevant work experience in advancing equity diversity, and inclusion required, with increasing responsibility and demonstrated leadership experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience working with diverse populations and constituencies to effect positive change.
- Successful experience in leading the creation, implementation, and evaluation of programs to enhance organizational climate for students, staff, and faculty.
- Familiarity or experience (preferred) with current national trends in the area of diversity and multiculturalism, particularly in higher education. Experience with an agricultural, natural resources, and/or life sciences context is a plus.
- Experience managing relations with internal and external communities.
- Demonstrative evidence of strong leadership, interpersonal and writing, and presentation communication skills.
- Report and grant-writing experience preferred.
||This listing expires on: 9/11/2021