Senior Research Associate (Postsecondary Education Access and Success)
About the Role:
As a senior member of the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center, this role leads and contributes to the design and execution of benchmarking research publications and custom research projects. All research publications are intended to advance postsecondary educational opportunity and attainment, by engaging audiences of schools and colleges, policymakers, members of the media, and students and families in evidence-based research.
Essential duties include performing analytic and programming work, writing data-driven storytelling publications, fostering innovation in the production of research studies, supervising junior analysts as assigned, and facilitating collaborations with other units in the Clearinghouse on the intersecting areas of work.
How You Contribute:
- Demonstrate NSC’s competencies, which align with our corporate value Manager will provide more detail to candidates as needed.
- Management Competencies include: Making Complex Decisions, Being Flexible and Adaptive, Building Collaborative Relationships, Focusing on Performance, and Optimizing Diverse Talent.
Focusing on Performance:
- Develop quantitative research publications to high standard of quality, assuring data accuracy and reliability, effective writing, impactful digital publishing design and data visualizations as a basis for storytelling, and delivery on deadline.
- Demonstrate exceptional writing skills to draft research reports and exceptional verbal communication skills to present research to diverse audiences.
- Provide supervision, training, and professional development tools for junior analysts as needed.
- Produce documentation for both internal and external customer use, including methodology, database management, and quality assurance; and contribute to grant proposals.
Making Complex Decisions:
- Lead the development of publications and custom research on key postsecondary student outcomes, using the nation’s most comprehensive, most current student-level data that is available through the Clearinghouse.
- Assist the Director on new directions for research and data analyses by identifying opportunities and ideas to innovate research efforts as appropriate.
- Conduct and manage research and data support to other units in the Clearinghouse and respond to time-sensitive data requests from schools and colleges, other educational organizations, the media, and policy makers.
Being Flexible and Adaptable:
- Effectively manage multiple research projects simultaneously, develop project timelines, and establish quality assurance processes.
- In collaboration with other units in the Clearinghouse, contribute to the development of platforms and algorithms to automate routine tasks to perform in the production of annual publications.
- Assist in documenting and maintaining a cloud SAS data warehouse for the Research Center.
Building Collaborative Relationships:
- Facilitate coordination and collaboration on the intersecting areas of research studies and deadlines within research teams and/or with the marketing and public affairs units or other research collaborators in the field.
- Optimizing Diverse Talent
- Build a team-based environment that aligns with company values, ways of working, and competencies.
- Recruit and select the best talent to help optimize skills and experiences and motivate and manage staff to maximize productivity and efficiency.
- Develop and manage career development and advancement opportunities at the Clearinghouse through MAPS conversations, developing and reporting on performance and goals, and defining and monitoring training and development plans to ensure job and career satisfaction.
- Coach, mentor and ensure staff is adequately trained and provide guidance, as needed.
- Monitor performance including annual reviews, rewards, and compensation structure.
- Reward employees using formal and informal methods.
Position may be required to perform other duties as required. These essential functions are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Use of a computer for 8 or more hours a day.
- Use of a copy machine, and telephone.
- Frequently required to sit for 7 or more hours per day in close proximity to others in an open office environment.
- Occasionally required to use hands and fingers to operate, handle, and reach.
- Vision abilities include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Travel via car and airplane when needed for training or professional development (up to 10%).
Please submit a cover letter and resume when completing the application.
To apply for this position, visit: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/NAT1026NASTC/JobBoard/ede5324b-95da-4eae-a00b-4bfe8854792e/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=21f6eb82-3377-4b24-8b74-274888eb47e5
Senior Research Associate (Postsecondary Education Access and Success)
||National Student Clearinghouse
|Posting Start Date:
||What You Bring to the Table:
- Earned doctoral degree in higher education, economics, social sciences, or a related field with 7-10 years of experience conducting and managing quantitative research projects focusing on student outcomes.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills and strong verbal presentation skills.
- Content knowledge in historical and current context of the education to workforce continuum.
- Strong knowledge of federal and state data sources focusing on secondary and postsecondary student outcomes.
- Demonstrated experience with large-scale database management, analysis, and report writing for a diverse audience of education and policy leaders.
- Strong research design and project management capabilities including conceptualizing new research, designing descriptive and multivariate methods and data visualizations, managing resources and teams, as well as executing the implementation plans to complete work timely.
- 5 years of experience programming SAS or similar (Python, R, STATA, SPLUS) in a professional setting.
- 3 years of research staff supervisory experience.
- Tableau or other data visualization tools.
- Microsoft Office Suite and other collaboration tools.
Talented at the employee competencies:
- Communicates Effectively – Exceptional written and verbal communication and effective presentation skills and demonstrated ability to communicate technical terms effectively and confidently all levels of staff.
- Collaborates - Proven track record of developing positive relationships at all levels with internal and external stakeholders.
- Customer focus and Be Open and Authentic - Positive and professional attitude with the demonstrated ability to adapt to a dynamic, fast paced industry and environment.
- Optimizes Work Processes - Demonstrated proficiency aligning the team/department on goals and objectives.
- Live within a commutable distance of Herndon, VA.
Additional Desired Requirements:
- Demonstrated ability to produce thought leadership in higher education especially in the context of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
||This listing expires on: 10/15/2021