Southern Nevada and the Las Vegas Valley Context Resources
Foundation 2: Southern Nevada and the Las Vegas Valley Context Resources
Overview of Foundation 2
The enduring presence of diverse communities and knowledges in Southern Nevada provide a foundation to understanding the richness of the area. The University of Las Vegas - Nevada (UNLV), through the stewardship of Dr. Claytee White, developed a series call “We Need To Talk” to start a conversation around race and racism in the Las Vegas Valley. We encourage learners to watch the videos to gain a greater understanding of contemporary and historical communities in the Las Vegas Valley.
- Video Panel: We Need to Talk Series
- Video: Putting Las Vegas on the Map
- Nevada Tribal Land Map
- Census Data: https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/lasvegascitynevada
Boarding School Era
- Video Lecture: A Community Forum: Reckoning with Nevada’s Boarding School Past
- Performance: We Danced, We Sang, Until the Matron Came
Civil Rights Era
After learning more about Nevada’s diverse communities, what lessons can be taken back to your institution?
What areas of knowledge can you further investigate to help you develop your place-based sensibilities in higher education scholarship?