About the Award
The Mentoring Award will be presented in recognition of extraordinary, tireless, and sustained contributions to the professional and scholarly development of emerging scholars as the future of the field of higher education.
NOMINATION EVALUATION CRITERIAWhen reviewing nominations, the awards committee will make decisions based on the following preferred and demonstrated attributes:
A commitment to mentoring students and emerging scholars
Active fostering of inclusive classroom and transforming research environments
Recognized scholarly contributions to the field of higher education
Consistent role modeling of personal and professional integrity
Collaboration in scholarship and teaching with junior faculty and graduate student
Evidence of mentoring ability across identities
2023 AWARDS TIMELINE
- Nominations will be open in early May 2023 and close in late June 2023. Due to the number of submissions and the review process, no late submissions will be accepted; as such, nominators are encouraged to submit their nominations well in advance of this deadline.
- Nominators and nominees will be informed of decisions in mid-September.
- An announcement of recipients will be sent to the ASHE membership in late September.
- The recipient(s) will be recognized during the ASHE Awards Ceremony during the Annual Conference.
TO SUBMIT A NOMINATION
- Name, Title, Position, Institution, Email, and Phone Number of Coordinating Nominator
- Name, Title, Position, Institution, Email, and Phone Number of Nominee
- A nomination statement up to 750 words that demonstrates the nominee's match to the award evaluation criteria. This should not be a nomination or support letter, but a summary of the nominee's qualifications for this specific award.
- 2-3 letters of support. For upload into the nomination form, these should be combined into one document, preferably a pdf.
- The nominee's CV.
The coordinating nominator, as well as the award nominee(s) (and subsequently recipient(s)), must be current members of ASHE.
Questions about the 2023 award process can be sent to email@example.com.
Nominations for 2023 will open in early May 2023.
The ASHE Awards Committee is a standing committee of the Board of Directors. Committee members are recommended by the President to the Board of Directors and service 1-3 year terms.
2023 Committee Members:
- Raquel Rall (Chair), University of California, Riverside
- Beth Bukoski (Board Rep), Virginia Commonwealth University
- Emily VanZoest (Grad Rep), North Carolina State University
- Matthew Witenstein, University of Dayton
- Julie Park, University of Maryland, College Park
- Sylvia Martinez, Indiana University
- Eugene Parker, University of Kansas
2022 Mentoring Award:
Victor B. Sáenz, The University of Texas at Austin
2021 Mentoring Award:
Christine A. Stanley, Texas A&M University
2020 Mentoring Award:
Gloria Crisp, Oregon State University
2019 Mentoring Award:
Linda J. Sax, UCLA
2018 Mentoring Award:
James Earl Davis
2017 Mentoring Award:
- 2022 Victor B. Sáenz
- 2021 Christine A. Stanley
- 2020 Gloria Crisp
- 2019 Linda J. Sax
- 2018 James Earl Davis
- 2017 Roger G. Baldwin
- 2016 Audrey J. Jaeger
- 2015 Alberto F. Cabrera
- 2014 Stephen L. DesJardins
- 2013 Peter Magolda
- 2012 Patricia M. McDonough
- 2011 Sharon Fries-Britt
- 2010 Alexander W. Astin & Helen S. Astin
- 2009 Marilyn Amey