The Mentoring Award will be presented in recognition of extraordinary, tireless, and sustained contributions to the professional and scholarly development of emerging scholars as the future of the field of higher education.
Nomination Evaluation Criteria
- A commitment to mentoring students and emerging scholars
- Active fostering of inclusive classroom and transforming research environments
- Recognized scholarly contributions to the field of higher education
- Consistent role modeling of personal and professional integrity
- Collaboration in scholarship and teaching with junior faculty and graduate student
- Evidence of mentoring ability across identities
2023 Awards Timeline
- Nominations for the 2023 award season are now closed. Nominations will open in early May 2024 and close in late June 2024.
Due to the number of submissions and the review process, no late submissions will be accepted; as such, nominators are encouraged to submit their nominations well in advance of this deadline.
- Nominators and nominees will be informed of decisions in mid-September.
- An announcement of recipients will be sent to the ASHE membership in late September.
- The recipient(s) will be recognized during the ASHE Awards Ceremony during the Annual Conference.
- Name, Title, Position, Institution, Email, and Phone Number of Coordinating Nominator
- Name, Title, Position, Institution, Email, and Phone Number of Nominee
- A nomination statement up to 750 words that demonstrates the nominee's match to the award evaluation criteria. This should not be a nomination or support letter, but a summary of the nominee's qualifications for this specific award.
- 2-3 letters of support. For upload into the nomination form, these should be combined into one document, preferably a pdf.
- The nominee's CV.
Due to the increased number of nominations received in recent years, each nominee will be limited to one nomination. In the event multiple nominations are submitted, the committee chair will notify the coordinating nominators requesting they consolidate their nominations.
The coordinating nominator, as well as the award nominee(s) (and subsequently recipient(s)), must be current members of ASHE.
Questions about the 2023 award process can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominations for 2024 will open in early May 2024.
The ASHE Awards Committee is a standing committee of the Board of Directors. Committee members are recommended by the President to the Board of Directors and service 1-3 year terms.
2023 Committee Members:
- Raquel Rall (Chair), University of California, Riverside
- Beth Bukoski (Board Rep), Virginia Commonwealth University
- Emily VanZoest (Grad Rep), North Carolina State University
- Matthew Witenstein, University of Dayton
- Julie Park, University of Maryland, College Park
- Sylvia Martinez, Indiana University
- Eugene Parker, University of Kansas
2022: Victor B. Sáenz
- 2021: Christine A. Stanley (YouTube Link)
- 2020: Gloria Crisp (YouTube Link)
- 2019: Linda J. Sax (YouTube Link)
- 2018: James Earl Davis (YouTube Link)
- 2017: Roger G. Baldwin (YouTube Link)
- 2016: Audrey J. Jaeger
- 2015: Alberto F. Cabrera
- 2014: Stephen L. DesJardins
- 2013: Peter Magolda
- 2012: Patricia M. McDonough
- 2011: Sharon Fries-Britt
- 2010: Alexander W. Astin & Helen S. Astin
- 2009 Marilyn Amey