In a 75-minute session, research papers (empirical/data-based studies) and scholarly papers (novel arguments, pose and grapple with critical questions, synthesize divergent bodies of literature, and/or elaborate new theoretical or conceptual frameworks) are presented. The papers are either submitted individually and sessions are created by the Program Committee or session organizers propose a complete session of papers (research and/or scholarly) that consists of up to four papers that address a specific topic.
For 2023, some sessions will also integrate Performance, Visual, and Digitial Scholarship Presentations. PVDS presentations are intend to provide opportunities for the (re)presentation of scholarship, inquiry, and knowledge production in the forms of exhibitions, live performances, videos, looped slides, and other digital and arts-based mediums. PVDS presentations will be based on empirical research that present findings of a study including photo-voice exhibition, spoken word art, performance ethnography, digital storytelling, poetry, documentary videos, art displays, visual discourse analyses, digital humanities projects, and other (re)presentations of knowledge production and inquiry outside of the paper, symposium, or poster formats.
Uploading Your Paper (before October 19 for Virtual Conference Day presentations; before October 31 for In-Person Pre-Conferences and the General Conference)Papers should not be longer than 30 double-spaced pages (excluding references, tables, and appendices).
- We also encourage you to add a cover page with any relevant notes to the Session Discussant (e.g., areas where feedback would be most helpful, if the paper was from a dissertation, etc.).
- Should you not upload a paper by the deadline, your Discussant may elect only to give cursory feedback or no feedback at all.
- Please note that when you upload your paper to the ASHE Conference Portal, it is not made public; it will only be visible to Presenters in your session, including your discussant and chair. Presenters are prohibited from publicly sharing any materials that are uploaded in the ASHE Conference Portal.
How to Upload your paper to the Conference Portal:
- The individual that submitted the proposal must log into the ASHE Conference Portal at https://convention2.allacademic.com/one/ashe/ashe23
- Make sure you are seeing your submissions by clicking the “Submitter” option
- Select over to the “Participations” tab (not the Submsisions tab).
- Under the “Action” column next to the accepted paper, select "upload."
- Select“Choose File” and select the saved PDF to upload (NOTE: only one file may be uploaded and it must be in PDF).
- Select “Accept and Continue” to complete the upload.
Review the information on the Creating Accessible Presentations section.
Uploading Your PowerPoint Presentation (before October 26 for Virtual Conference Day presentations; before November 7 for In-Person Pre-Conferences and the General Conference)
- Go to the Form at: ASHE Presentation Upload Form
- Select your Session Name (not the name of your paper).
- Upload your Presentation.
- Locate your session’s room assignment in the Conference Program. Plan to arrive 15 minutes early. Please note that there is a 15 minute break between sessions, so the previous session may still be wrapping up when you arrive.
- In the 15 minutes before your session starting, the Session Chair, Session Discussant, and Session Authors can discuss:
- The order of the presentations based on the program
- Name pronunciations and preferred names for Authors (e.g., Jason vs. Dr. Guilbeau)
- The time limits for each Presenter
- Process for selecting questions for the Q and A section
- Process for Q and A section of the session
The typical Session format is as follows: (NOTE: Please coordinate with your Session Chair if there are more/less than 3 presentations. The order of presentation is by the listing on the event program.)
Session Agenda (75 minutes)
- The Session Chair introduces themself and provides a land acknowledgment. Session Chair introduces the session and reviews the agenda/timing of the session (1-2 minutes).
- Session Chair introduces Paper #1 and Presenters (1 minute)
- Presenation #1 (15 minutes)
- Session Chair introduces Paper #2 and Presenters (1 minute)
- Presenation #2 (15 minutes)
- Session Chair introduces Paper #3 and Presenters (1 minute)
- Presenation #3 (15 minutes)
- Session Chair introduces Session Discussant (1 minute)
- Session Discussant (15 minutes)
- Session Chair facilitates Open Q&A (10 minutes).
Please be mindful that there is likely a session occurring after yours in the same room. We ask that you end on time and move conversations outside of the room so the next session can begin promptly.
Depending on the focus of your presentation, Presenters can take more or less time on theory, methods, and other sections. The following is a suggested guide, but not meant to be constrictive and can vary substantially by topic and paper:
Session Recommended Individual Presentation Format (15 minutes)
- 1 Minute: Introduction, Land Acknowledgement, Visual Description
- 2 Minutes: Paper Overview including the purpose and research questions
- 3 or 4 Minutes: Literature Review and Theoretical Framework
- 3 or 4 Minutes: Methodology & Methods
- 4 Minutes: Results
- 2 Minute: Implications & Conclusion
ASHE will provide:
Session Audio/Video Provisions
- Projector and screen
- Laptop computer with a hard-wired internet connection and audio connection. We recommend uploading your presentation to a USB drive and then saving it onto the ASHE laptop desktop before your presentation.
- Podium with microphone