Planning Your Conference
Schedule | Conference Registration | Arriving & Departing Minneapolis | Wayfinding | Hotel | COVID Mitigation Guidelines | Meals & Dining | Higher Education in Minneapolis | Things to Do & Visit in Minneapolis
The schedule for the General Conference, Pre-Conferences, and Virtual Conference Day will be finalized and available in early August.
Registration for the General Conference and Pre-Conferences sessions are now available. Complimentary access to the 2023 Virtual Conference Day on November 2 is included with in-person general conference registration.
For 2023, ASHE is excited to offer a Virtual Conference Day on November 2. The Virtual Conference Day will support accessibility of the ASHE Conference for individuals who are unable or choose not to travel to the in-person Conference. Additional information will be available in September 2023 for those who are not attending the in-person Conference and wish to register only for the Virtual Conference Day.
For more information about pre-conferences, please visit their corresponding information page at ashe.ws/precons.
Registration for both general sessions and pre-conferences can be accessed via our primary registration page.
Arriving & Departing from Minneapolis
The conference headquarters and primary hotel will be the Hilton Minneapolis located at 1001 S Marquette Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55403 . It is about 15-30 minutes from the Minneapolis-Saint Paul (MSP) Airport depending on the time of day you are traveling and traffic.
Driving & Parking Directions
Minneapolis is within a 6-hour driving distance from the following cities: Des Moines, Iowa; Fargo, North Dakota; Madison, Wisconsin; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Omaha, Nebraska; Sioux Falls, South Dakota; and Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada.
Parking at Hilton Minneapolis
- $25.00 per day payable in the kiosk in the parking garage
- $60 per day for oversized vehicles
- Nearby, 240 feet
Valet Parking Fees
Located in the table below is collected price information for roundtrip flights to the Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport from major cities as of 2/21/2023. We encourage members to set alerts through flight tracking services such as flights.google.com or skyscanner.com .
The following flights are based on a departure date of November 15 and return on November 19.
|Atlanta||Delta: $428 (nonstop) (Google Flights Link: Atlanta)|
|Boston||Delta: $298 (nonstop) (Google Flights Link: Boston)|
|Chicago||Delta: $293 (nonstop) (Google Flights Link: Chicago)|
|Denver||United: $312 (nonstop) (Google Flights Link: Denver)|
|Detroit||Delta: $248 (nonstop) (Google Flights Link: Detroit)|
|Houston||United: $317 (nonstop) (Google Flights Link: Houston)|
|Indianapolis||Delta: $438 (Google Flights Link: Indianapolis)|
|Los Angeles||Delta: $430 (nonstop) (Google Flights Link: Los Angeles)|
|Miami||Delta: $468 (nonstop) (Google Flights Link: Miami)|
|Raleigh-Durham||Delta: $478 (non-stop) (Google Flights Link: Raliegh-Durham)|
|Seattle||Alaska: $402 (nonstop) (Google Flights Link: Seattle)|
|Washington DC||Delta: $273 (non-stop) (Google Flights Link: Washington DC)|
Learn more about the Minneapolis (MSP) airport at mspairport.com .
Inter-Terminal Transportation at MSP Airport
Inter-Terminal Transportation is available via the Light Rail Transit System with a shuttle service also available for accesibility needs.
- Light Rail trains run between terminals around the clock, seven days a week, approximately every 15 minutes.
- Inter-Terminal Shuttle Service is a courtesy transportation option between terminals for customers with accessibility needs. The shuttle is provided as an alternative to the courtesy Light Rail Transit system for people with accessibility challenges, elderly people, families with young children or others with special needs. The van is equipped with a wheelchair lift. This free service departs approximately every 20 minutes and runs at all times.
- At Terminal 2, the shuttle picks up and drops off passengers on the ground level of the Purple Ramp. At Terminal 1, passengers are dropped off and picked up on the curb of the east roadway, Level 1 of the Gold Ramp. Look for overhead signs directing passengers.
- For more information call (612) 725‑4681 to speak to local dispatch for the inter-terminal shuttle.
Directions for how to find taxi, ride share and shuttle rates at MSP terminals, as well as approximate costs and directions are available at MSPairport.com - Ground Transportation webpage .
Wheelchair Accessible Transport from MSP airport to the Hilton Minneapolis hotel is available through:
- Metro Transit Light Rail Service: The METRO Blue Line goes from the airport to the Nicollet Mall stop, a .4 mile distance ot the Hilton Minneapolis Hotel. The METRO Blue Line operates every 12 to 15 minutes from approximately 3:30 a.m. to midnight (southbound), seven days a week. View the full schedule on the Metro Transit website . Tickets are sold at ticket machines at the rail stations and on the Metro Transit app . Reduced fares are available for seniors, youth, and persons with disabilities. Children 5 and under ride free (limit 3) when accompanied by a paid fare.
- At the airport, the Terminal 1 METRO Blue Line station is located below the Red, Blue and Silver parking ramps. From the Tram Level (one level below bag claim), take the tram to the Red, Blue and Silver parking ramps. When you exit the tram, follow the signs to the METRO Blue Line station
- At the airport, the Terminal 2 METRO Blue Line station is located on the north side of the Orange Ramp. From Level 1, near Ticketing, take the elevator or escalator up to the Orange Ramp skyway. Follow the signs to the light rail station. Take the escalators or elevators down one level to the station platform.
- Rental Cars: Rental cars with hand controls are available from airport car rental agencies at no extra charge. Rental companies request at least a 48-hour advanced reservation.
- Uber Access: Open the Uber app and enter your destination in the ‘Where to’ box. Once you confirm your pickup and destination addresses are correct, scroll right at the bottom of the screen to find the ‘ACCESS’ or ‘ASSIST’ option. If an Uber Access or Assist driver is available and accepts your ride request, you’ll see your driver’s picture and vehicle details and can track their arrival on the map.
- Transportation Plus: wheelchair accessible rides available through their ihail app , website , or via phone and text at (612) 888‑8888. T-Plus drivers and accessible taxis are all Special Transportation Services (STS) certified, including specialized driver training for passengers needing additional assistance. Provide affordable wheelchair van service with regular taxi rates and no price surging.
Unique to the Minneapolis area is the Skway inter-building network and Downtown Ambassadors program.
The Minneapolis Downtown Improvement District Ambassadors are around the downtown area sporting neon green vests. They are available to offer suggestions for things to do and help with directions. To find out more about this local service, visit mplsdid.com/ambassadors.
The Minneapolis Skyway System is the largest contiguous system of enclosed, second-level bridges in the world—composed of 9.5 miles of pathways connecting 80 city blocks, connecting hotels, restaurants, and more. Each section is housed seperately through various buildings and provide a way to navigate the area without stepping outside. The latest map and information can be found at skywaymyway.com. For a listing of current food locations in the skyway visit minneapolis.org/food-drink/restaurants/skyway-food/.
HotelASHE has secured discounted rates at our headquarters hotel, the Hilton Minneapolis. ASHE highly encourages conference attendees to stay at the ASHE Conference hotel. This helps us meet our contractual commitment to the hotel and avoid paying a penalty fee.
COVID Mitigation Guidelines
The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) recommends using the "CDC COVID-19 by County" tool to monitor COVID-19 community levels in the areas you are traveling to and from in order to determine the prevention measures recommended for you. Minneapolis is located in Hennepin County. The MDH also provides recommendations for prevention measures applicable at all COVID-19 community levels.
Presently statewide, 72% of people in Minnesota have received at least one vaccine dose, 68% have received a complete vaccine series, and 24% are up to date on all the vaccine doses they are eligible for.
The Hilton Minneapolis hotel follows all state and local guidelines regarding COVID-19. Additionally, they have implemented other prevention measures such as self cleaning elevator buttons, housekeeping only on the fourth day of the a stay (unless otherwise requested), and hand sanitizer stations around the hotel.
The ASHE Staff is committed to the health and safety of our event participants. Procedures for COVID-19 Mitigation for events will be set according to CDC and public health recommendations; federal, state, and local regulations applicable at the time of the event; as well as what ASHE deems necessary to manage the risk for event attendees. The ASHE Staff may change, update, or add to these requirements at any time as it deems prudent to best protect the health and safety of attendees and others. Attendees must comply with relevant policies and requirements in place at the time of an event as communicated by the ASHE Staff. ASHE cannot be held liable for cases of infectious disease arising because of event attendance. Learn more at the ASHE COVID-19 Mitigation Policy.
Meals & Dining
Casual dining in and out of the hotel is available under $20. Evening receptions typically provide a variety of hors d'ouevres.
You may also consider utilizing the LOCUS MN BIPOC and Femme, Trans, Womxn-owned Twin Cities Business Resource guide to make plans to support Black, Indigenous, People of Color, Femme, Trans, Womxn, and Queer restaurants during your time at the Conference.
**All listed operating hours are subject to change and are provided as a courtesy for attendee planning. Check the restuarant before arrivel to ensure they are open.**
In the Hilton Minneapolis Hotel
- Ten 01 Market: quick service gourmet market serving grab-and-go snacks, made-to-order pizzas, and Starbucks coffee.
- Ten 01 Social: sit down service inside the lobby. Available Monday to Sunday 7:00am-11:00am and 4:00pm-10:00pm.
Neighborhood Dining Around Conference Hotel
The Hilton Minneapolis hotel is close to many local eateries and dining locations. There is a variety of ways to navigate this area including traditional sidewalk paths, the Skyway , and "Downtown Zone" bus transportation offered at a low cost ($0.50 per ride as of 5/11/2023). For additional accesibility resources, Visit Minneapolis also has an Accesibility Guide that includes restaurants, places to visit, and transportation options. Approximately one block from the conference hotel is the Nicollet , (formely the Nicollet Mall) a shopping district that has several restaurants.
|Chipotle Mexican Grill||7||2||Mon. to Sat. 10:45am-10pm|
|Devil's Advocate||17||2||Tues. to Sat. 3pm-Midnight|
|Caribou Coffee||5||3||Mon. to Fri. 6am-3:30pm|
|Brit's Pub||18||3||Mon. to Thurs. 11:30am-11pm; Fri. 11:30am-1am; Sat. & Sun. 11am-11pm|
|Barrio||10||4||Mon. & Tues. 11am-9pm; Wed. & Thurs. 11am-10pm; Fri. & Sat. 11am-11pm; Sun. Noon-9pm|
|Lot 57||13||4||Mon. to Fri. 6:30am-10am; Sat. & Sun. 7am-10:30am|
|Qdoba||9||4||Mon. to Fri. 10am-6pm|
|Ruth's Chris Steakhouse||25||4||Mon. to Sun. 4pm-9pm|
|Starbucks||5||4||Mon. to Thurs. 6:30am-5:30pm; Sat. 7:00am-4:00pm|
|Sushi Train||7||4||Mon. to Sun. 11:30am-9:00pm|
|The News Room||16||4||Sun. to Thurs. 11am-10pm; Fri. & Sat. 11am-11pm; Sun. 11am-10pm|
|The Local||13||4||Mon. to Fri. 11am-11pm; Sat. 8:45am-11pm; Sun. 10am-10pm|
|Dave's Downtown||7||5||Mon. to Fri. 7:30am-2pm|
|Come Pho Soup||11||6||Mon. to Fri. 10:30am-3pm|
|Ginelli's Pizza||4||6||Mon. to Fri. 9am-3pm|
|Hell's Kitchen||14||6||Tues. to Sat. 8am-8:30pm; Sun. 8am-2pm|
|Trieste Cafe||9||5||Mon. to Fri. 10am-2pm|
|Nicollet Diner||16||6||Open 24/7|
|Valentino Cafe||6||6||Mon. to Fri. 10am-2:30pm|
|Hen House Eatery||14||7||Mon. to Fri. 7am-3pm; Sat. & Sun. 7:30am-2pm|
|Hibachi Daruma||15||7||Mon. to Thurs. 11am-7pm; Fri. 11am-7pm; Sat. 11:30am-6:30pm|
|Jimmy John's||9||7||Mon. to Sun. 10:30am-8pm|
|Prairie Kitchen & Bar||10||7||Mon. to Sun. 7am-11am; 11am-2pm; 4pm-Midnight|
|801 Chophouse||25||8||Mon. to Sat. 4pm-10pm; Sun. 4pm-9pm|
|8th Street Grill||15||8||Mon. to Sat. 8am-10pm|
|Ping's||8||8||Take out and delivery only; Mon. to Thurs. 11am-9pm; Fri. 11am-10pm; Sat. Noon-10pm; Sun. Noon-9pm|
|Lotus Restaurant||13||9||Mon. to Sat. 11am-9pm; Sun. Noon-8pm|
|People's Organic Cafe||14||9||Mon. to Fri. 8am-2pm|
|Potbelly Sandwich||14||9||Mon. to Fri. 7am-7pm; Sat. 11am-3pm|
|123 Sushi||7||9||Mon. to Sun. 11am-9pm|
|Roti Modern Mediterranean||10||9||Mon. to Fri. 11am-4pm|
|Sonora Mexican Kitchen||18||9||Mon. to Wed. 3pm-9pm; Thurs. to Sat. 3pm-10pm|
|Vitali's Cafe (Kosher)||11||9||Tues. to Fri. 8am-5pm; Sun. 9am-5pm|
|Eggy's Diner||10||10||Mon. to Sun. 7am-3pm|
|Jolliet House||15||10||Breakfast Mon. to Fri. 7am-10am; Sat. & Sun. 7am-noon; Lunch Mon. to Fri. 11am-2pm; Dinner Tues. to Sat. 5pm-10pm|
|Leeann Chin||10||10||Mon. to Fri. 11am-2pm|
|Los Ocampo Express||10||10||Mon. to Sat. 10am-6pm|
|Monello||14||5||Mon. to Thurs. 7am-2pm; 5pm-9pm; Fri. & Sat. 7am-2pm; 5pm-11pm|
|Normandy Kitchen||13||10||Tues. to Fri. 4pm-8pm; Sat. & Sun. 11am-10pm|
|Subway||6||10||Mon. to Fri. 9am-3pm|
|The Salad Bar||8||10||Mon. to Fri. 10:30am-2pm|
|Union Bar & Grill||12||10||Dinner Wed. to Thurs. 4pm-9pm; Fri. 4pm-9:30pm; 5pm-9:30pm; Sun. 10am-4pm; Breakfast Sat. & Sun. 10am-4pm|
Driveable Dining from Conference Hotel
There are also a number of restaurants within a 3 to 15 minute drive of the hotel. Options for halal and kosher are more greatly available within this radius.
|Five Guys||9||3||Mon. to Sun. 8am-6:30pm|
|Andrea Pizza||5||3||Mon. to Fri. 10am-5pm|
|Bruegger's Bagels||6||3||Mon. to Fri. 6am-2pm|
|Bucca di Beppo||25||3||Sun. to Wed. 11am-9:30pm; Thurs. 11am-10pm; Fri. to Sat. 11am-11pm|
|D Brian's Deli||8||3||Mon. to Fri. 7am-2pm|
|Dairy Queen||6||3||Mon. to Fri. 11am-4pm|
|D'Amico & Sons||14||3||Mon. to Fri. 10am-3pm|
|Fhima's||25||3||Lunch Mon. to Fri. 11:30am-2pm; Dinner Mon. to Thurs. 5pm-10pm; Fri. & Sat. 4pm-midnight: Sun. 4pm-10pm|
|Freshii||7||3||Mon. to Fri. 10am-3pm|
|Green + Grain||8||3||Mon. to Fri. 10am-2pm|
|Naf Naf Grill (Halal)||10||3||Mon. to Fri. 10:30am-6pm|
|Oceanaire Seafood Room||25||3||Sun. to Thurs. 5pm-9pm; 5pm-10pm|
|The Burger Place||12||3||Mon. to Fri. 7am-3pm|
|The Naughty Greek||10||3||Mon. to Fri. 8am-2pm|
|Wendy's||3||3||Mon. to Thurs. 6:30am-11pm; Fri. to Sat. 6:30am-12am; Sun. 7am-11pm|
|Aurelias Mexican Food Downtown||16||4||Sun. to Thurs. 9am-12pm; Fri. & Sat. 9am-2:30am|
|Aurora Restaurant||18||4||Mon. to Sun. 6:30am-2pm; 5pm-10pm|
|Bep Eatery||9||4||Mon. to Fri. 11am-2pm|
|Cardigan Donuts||4||4||Mon. to Fri. 7am-5:30pm; Sat. 8am-3pm|
|Einstein Bros Bagels||5||4||Mon. to Fri. 7am-3pm|
|Fogo de Chão||20||4||Lunch Mon. to Fri. 11:30am-2pm; Dinner Mon. to Thurs. 5pm-10pm; Fri. 5pm-10:30pm; Sat. 2pm-10:30pm; Sun. 2pm-9pm; Brunch Sat. & Sun. 11:30am-2pm|
|Lyon's Pub||12||4||Mon. to Thurs. 11am-10pm; Sat. & Sun. 11am-11pm|
|Murray's||17||4||Mon. to Thurs. 5pm-9pm; Tues. to Fri. 11am-1:30pm; Fri.-Sat. 5pm-10pm; Sun. 4pm-8:30pm|
|The Brother's Deli||10||4||Mon. to Fri. 10:30am-1:30pm|
|Wood and Paddle Eatery||16||4||Breakfast Mon. to Fri. 6:30am-1pm; Sat. & Sun. 6:30am-1pm; Lunch Mon. to Fri. 11am-1pm; Dinner Sun. to Thurs. 4pm-10pm; Fri. & Sat. 4pm-11pm|
|Velle||10||4||Mon. to Fri. 11am-2pm|
|BANK Restaurant||14||5||Breakfast Mon. to Fri. 6am-9am; Sat. & Sun. 7am-10am; Lunch Mon. to Fri. 11am-2pm; Dinner Mon. to Sun. 5pm-9pm|
|Breakfast Bar of Minnesota||17||5||Thurs. & Fri. 9am-midnight; Sat. 9am-1am; Sun. 9am-11pm|
|Dunn Brother's Coffee||5||5||Mon.-Fri. 6am-4pm; Sat. & Sun. 7am-4pm|
|McDonald's||4||5||Mon. to Sun. 6am-midnight|
|Pho Hoa Noodle Soup||8||5||Mon. to Sun. 10am-8pm|
|Umbra||18||5||Mon. to Thurs. 7am-11pm; Fri. & Sat. 7am-midnight|
|Boludo||16||6||Tues. to Sun. 11am-9pm|
|Kindee Thai Restaurant||12||6||Mon. to Sat. 11:30am-9pm; Sun. 4pm-9pm|
|Pimiento Jamaican Kitchen||18||6||Sun. to Wed. 11am-8pm; Thurs. to Sat. 11am-2pm|
|Urban Skillet (Halal)||11||6||Mon. to Thurs. 11am-10pm; Fri. 11am-midnight; Sat. 11am-10pm|
|Red Rabbit||11||7||Tues. to Thurs. 11am-10pm; Fri. 11am-11pm; Sat. 10am-11pm; Sun. 10am-10pm|
|Taco Bell||5||8||Sun. to Thurs. 7am-3am; Fri. & Sat. 7am-5am|
|Wally's Falafel and Hummus (Halal)||10||9||Mon. to Sun. 11am-10pm|
|Basil (Kosher)||15||10||Mon. to Thurs. 11:30am-6:30pm; Fri. 11:30am-1:30pm; Sunday noon-6:30pm|
|Krispy Krunchy Chicken (Halal)||11||10||Mon. to Sat. 11am-9pm|
|Darbar India Grill (Halal)||17||11||Mon. to Thurs. 11:30am-10pm; Fri. & Sat. 11:30am-11pm; Sun. noon-10pm|
|Marhaba Grill (Halal)||18||13||Mon. to Sun. 11am-9pm|
|Afro Deli (Halal)||10||14||Mon. to Sat. 10am-8pm|
|Wendy's House of Soul||9||14||Mon. to Fri. 11am-7am|
|Tamu Grill||6||8||Thurs. to Sun. 3pm-9pm|
|Owamni by the Sioux Chef||5||8||Tues. to Sun. 11am-9pm|
Higher Education Institutions in Minneapolis
|Adler Graduate School||20||200||alfredadler.edu|
|Anoka Technical College||30||1600||anokatech.edu|
|Anoka-Ramsey Community College||25||7500||anokaramsey.edu|
|Bethany Global University||25||300||bethanygu.edu|
|Concordia University - St. Paul||10||5500||csp.edu|
|Dakota County Technical College||25||2400||dctc.edu|
|Dunwoody College of Technology||5||1300||dunwoody.edu|
|Hennepin Technical College||20||4000||hennepintech.edu|
|Institute of Production and Recording||5||100||ipr.edu|
|Inver Hills Community College||25||3700||inverhills.edu|
|Metropolitan State University||13||6900||metrostate.edu|
|Minneapolis College of Art and Design||15||700||mcad.edu|
|Minneapolis Community and Technical College||5||5900||minneapolis.edu|
|Mitchell Hamline School of Law||20||1200||mithcellhamline.edu|
|Normandale Community College||20||8800||normandale.edu|
|North Central University||10||1000||northcentral.edu|
|North Hennepin Community College||20||5000||nhcc.edu|
|Northwestern Health Sciences University||15||1000||nwhealth.edu|
|Saint Mary's University of Minnesota||5||4500||smumn.edu|
|Saint Paul College||15||5800||saintpaul.edu|
|St. Catherine University||15||3900||stkate.edu|
|United Theological Seminary of the Twin Cities||10||150||unitedseminary.edu|
|University of Minnesota - Twin Cities||15||52000||twin-cities.umn.edu|
|University of Northwestern - St. Paul||15||3300||unwsp.edu|
|University of St. Thomas||15||9300||stthomas.edu|
Things to Do & Places to Visit in Minneapolis
- Bdote is a Dakota word that generally means “where two waters come together.” The bdote where Ȟaȟáwakpa (Mississippi River) and the Mnísota Wakpá (Minnesota River) come together is central to Dakota spirituality and history.
- Fort Snelling State Park – The site of the Bdote. Also the site of the concentration camp for 1,600 Dakota women, children, and elders in 1862-1863.
- Indian Mounds Regional Park – Dakota grave site that is thousands of years old. The mounds are representations of both the returning to the womb and the circle of life.
- Can Can Wonderland offers mini-golf, arcade games, food, drinks, and entertainment and is proud to be the first arts-based public benefit corporation in Minnesota.
- Como Park Zoo and Conservatory
- Comunidades Latinas Unidas en Servico (CLUES) Latino Art Gallery
- Dakota Jazz Club
- Downtown Minneapolis Events
- Hmong Cultural Center and Museum
- Hoċokata Ti [ho-cho-kah-tah-tee] - the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community’s (SMSC) Cultural Center
- George Floyd Global Memorial
- Indigenous Roots Cultural Arts Center
- Little Africa Walking Tour
- Mall of America and Nickelodeon Universe
- Minnesota African American Heritage Museum and Gallery
- Minneapolis Cultural Districts is a city initiative designed to prevent the displacement of residents in gentrifying areas while at the same time supporting the unique cultural history of the neighborhoods within these areas.
- Minnesota Humanities Center Calendar of Events
- Minneapolis Black Owned Businesses
- Minneapolis LGBTQ+ Community
- Minnesota Museum of American Art
- Minneapolis Parks: six blocks is the farthest distance to travel to get to one of 180 parks in Minneapolis
- Minneapolis Support Black Lives
- National Khmer Legacy Museum
- Paisley Park Tours
- St. Anthony's Falls Visitor Center and Lock and Dam
- Stone Arch Bridge is an iconic landmark and offers great views of the Minneapolis skyline
- Target Field Tours
- The Somali Museum of Minnesota
- U.S. Bank Stadium Tours