Call for Publications Committee Chair
ASHE 2022 President-Elect (2023 President) Ana Martínez-Alemán has launched a search to fill the upcoming vacancy for ASHE’s Publications Committee Chair.
After 7 years as Publications Committee Chair, Dr. Lisa Lattuca has decided to step down from this position. ASHE is tremendously grateful to Dr. Lattuca for her outstanding leadership during this time. Her successes as chair include managing numerous transitions with the Review of Higher Education, including the 2019 editor search, relationship management with Johns Hopkins University Press, as well as the 2019-2020 manuscript submission moratorium and re-opening. Dr. Lattuca has also served as a member of the ASHE Board of Directors throughout her time as chair, advocating for not only advancing ASHE’s scholarly communications but also for early career scholars and graduate students.
About the RoleThe Chair of the Publications Committee will serve a three-year, renewable term. The Chair leads the committee of six additional members: the ASHE Immediate Past President, three members of the Association, and the editors of the Review of Higher Education. General responsibilities of the committee, as led by the Chair, include:
- Oversee the publication program of the association and advise the Board on related issues.
- Develop, present to the Board, and implement short-term and long-term scholarly communications strategies
- Expressly solicit recommendations, including by the incumbent editor and the membership of the association, in making a recommendation to the board on the appointment of the editors of all ASHE publications.
- Reviewing and voting on associate editors, advisory board members, and editorial board members of ASHE publications.
- Co-lead, with the Executive Director, review of publications contracts and memorandums of understanding.
- Review, provide feedback on, and present to the Board of Directors twice yearly (or more frequently as needed) through publications committee reports.
Time CommitmentThe commitment is on average 5-10 hours per month.
- The Publications Committee Chair serves as a non-voting member of the Association’s Board of Directors which meets monthly and as needed in urgent situations (this occurs 2-3 times per year). The Board typically meets in-person for three days each summer with expenses paid by the Association. The Board also meets in-person at the annual conference with Board members expected to cover their own expenses for this meeting/the conference.
- The Chair sets the agenda and leads monthly (or as needed) meetings of the Publications Committee.
- The Chair also meets as needed and communicates regularly with the Association’s Executive Director.
Preferred QualificationsThe Chair of the Publications Committee should possess:
- Membership in ASHE of at least three years and involvement with the Association (e.g., committee service, conference attendance)
- A commitment to the values of the Association including diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Experience with scholarly communications and publications such experience as a scholarly journal editor, associate editor, and/or editorial board member
- Experience leading others such as chair of a committee, program coordinator, department chair, etc.
- The ability to present information to the Board of Directors and the membership in an understandable and transparent method.
CompensationThis is a volunteer position; no compensation is provided.
Application and Appointment ProcessInterested applicants are welcomed and encouraged to meet with ASHE Executive Director Dr. Jason P. Guilbeau to discuss the role and to have any questions answered. A meeting can be scheduled at: https://calendly.com/jasonguilbeau/legalpubs2022
To apply for this position, please submit:
- A one to two-page cover letter of interest which details your experience related to this position and ability to commit to the role.
- A CV/Resume that includes related and relevant experience.
Items #1 and #2 should be submitted to ASHE Executive Director Jason Guilbeau at firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, March 15 at Noon Pacific.
- Review and agreement to ASHE Policies (Conflict of Interest, Ethics, Diversity).
The search committee will conduct interviews in late March and anticipates making a recommendation to the Board of Directors in April. The selected applicant will begin shadowing the current Legal Counsel beginning in May and formally be installed in the role at the close of the 2022 conference in November.
- Ana Martínez-Alemán (Chair), ASHE 2022 President-Elect (ASHE 2023 President)
- Lisa R. Lattuca, ASHE Publications Committee Chair
- Frim Ampaw, ASHE Publications Committee Member
- Tania Mitchell, RHE Associate Editor
- Chris Linder, ASHE Board Member/Member of ASHE Strategic Workgroup on Scholarly Communications
- Jason Guilbeau, ASHE Executive Director