ASHE & SSN Op-ed Writing & Pitching & Media Interviews & Building Relationships with Reporters Workshop
This event has already concluded for 2023. For those interested in 2024 registration dates, information will be tentatively released in April 2023.
Thursday, June 15, 2023
10:00am-1:00pm Central/Minneapolis Time
Event will be held virtually
The Op-ed Writing & Pitching & Media Interviews & Building Relationships with Reporters Workshop, presented by the Scholars Strategy Network, teaches foundational media skills for academic researchers. The workshop focuses on how to write and pitch compelling, research-based op-eds. Attendees will learn how to craft a good lede, incorporate timely news hooks, signal the author’s relevant expertise, increase the likelihood of publication, structure an oped for maximum impact, and will be guided through shaping an idea into a first draft.
The workshop will also help scholars prepare for interviews and build relationships with members of the media by learning how to respond when a journalist calls, communicate their research in a clear manner, identify what reporters are looking for in interviews, maintain media relationships, and build on previous media work.
Who should attendAll researchers who are interested in honing strategies for engaging in media work should attend. Scholars from any career stage, including graduate students, are encouraged to attend.
Attendees of the Op-ed Writing & Pitching & Media Interviews & Building Relationships with Reporters Workshop will:
- Know the different types of OpEds academic researchers commonly write
- Understand the parts of an OpEd and know how to craft an effective one based on their own research and goals
- Have concrete strategies for pitching their OpEds to editors
- Know how to prepare for a media interview, including best practices for communicating their research and common mistakes to avoid
- Have clear action steps to build and maintain relationships with journalists
- Welcome & Introductions
- OpEd Writing & Pitching
- Media Interviewing & Relationship Building
- Concluding Thoughts & Time for Questions
- The seminar fee is $30 for ASHE members and $50 for non-members.
- Registration Closes and Payment Deadline: Thursday, June 8 Noon Central/Minneapolis Time.
- All ASHE Professional Development events encourage participants to engage throughout the event in various ways. To provide an environment that is conducive to learning and engagement and to provide a safe space (to the extent possible), Professional Development events are not recorded.
To complete the registration form, you will need your ASHE log-in information. If you do not have an ASHE log-in already (as a current or expired member or Guest account), you can create a free guest account or process payment for membership at https://www.ashe.ws/membership that will then allow you to login and register for this event.
Questions about registration or event logistics can be directed to the ASHE Staff at (202) 660-4106 or firstname.lastname@example.org.