ASHE CAHEP Barbara Townsend Lecture
About Dr. Townsend
About the Award/Lecture/Lecturer
NOMINATION EVALUATION CRITERIA
A nomination statement of up to 500 words explaining how:
- Scholarship aligned to one or more areas of the nomination call (higher education programs and leadership/administration, graduate education, gender in higher education, and/or leadership in community colleges).
- Involvement with ASHE and/or CAHEP in the past.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing higher education programs through scholarship, teaching, and/or service activities.
2023 AWARDS TIMELINE
- Nominations will be open in early May 2023 and close in late June 2023. Due to the number of submissions and the review process, no late submissions will be accepted; as such, nominators are encouraged to submit their nominations well in advance of this deadline.
- Nominators and nominees will be informed of decisions in mid-September.
- An announcement of recipients will be sent to the ASHE membership in late September.
- The recipient(s) will be recognized during the ASHE Awards Ceremony during the Annual Conference.
To submit a nomination
To submit a nomination you will need:
Name, Title, Position, Institution, Email, and Phone Number of Nominator
Name, Title, Position, Institution, Email, and Phone Number of Nominee
A nomination statement of up to 500 words explaining how (1) the nominee’s scholarship has engaged deeply with one or more of the nomination areas (higher education programs and leadership/administration, graduate education, gender in higher education, and/or leadership in community colleges); (2) the nominee has been meaningfully and/or consistently involved with ASHE and/or CAHEP; (3) how the nominee’s scholarship, teaching, and/or service have demonstrated a commitment to advancing higher education programs, and (4) a possible lecture title/topic.
The coordinating nominator, as well as the award nominee(s) (and subsequently recipient(s)), must be current members of ASHE.
Questions about the 2023 award process can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominations for 2023 will open in early May 2023.
Each year, the Council Chair appoints an awards committee, in close consultation with the Executive Committee, to solicit and accept nominations. ASHE awards committee members are not eligible to be nominated during the year in which they serve on the committee.2022 CAHEP Awards Committee:
- Ryan Miller (Chair), University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- Ann Gansemer-Topf Iowa State University
- Vicki Baker, Albion College
- Cydney Caradonna, University of Utah-Utah Prison Education Project, Journal of Higher Education in Prison
2022 Barbara Townsend Lecture:
Marilyn Amey, Michigan State University
2021 Barbara Townsend Lecture:
Sydney Freeman Jr., University of Idaho
2020 Barbara Townsend Lecture:
Xueli Wang, University of Wisconsin—Madison
2022 Marilyn Amey, Michigan State University
"Beyond Competencies: Developing Adaptive Leaders for Post-pandemic Higher Education"
2021 Sydney Freeman Jr., University of Idaho
"I’m a Higher Educationist, I’m proud, and I’ll say it loud: Embodying and embracing the future of higher education as a field of study"
2020 Xueli Wang, University of Wisconsin-Madison
"On My Own: The Challenge and Promise of Building Equitable STEM Transfer Pathways"
2019 Sarah Rodriguez, Texas A&M University-Commerce
"Finding Voice and Power as La Profesora: Reimagining Higher Education Programs as Sites of Resistance"
2018 Jaime Lester, George Mason University
"Gender Trouble in Community Colleges: Constructing a New Definition of Democracy's College"
2017 Pamela L. Eddy, The College of William and Mary
"Community College Leadership Frontires: Scouting and Developing Talent
2016 Kelly A. Ward, Washington State University
"Higher Education Leadership: Perspectives from the Pipeline"
2016 Lisa Wolf-Wendel, University of Kansas
"Higher Education Leadership: Perspectives from the People"
2015 Noah Drezner, Teachers College-Columbia Universit
2014 John S. Levin, University of California, Riverside
"Playing the Field: The Qualitative Researcher in the Community College"
2013 Linda Serra Hagedorn, Iowa State University
2012 Robert M. Hendrickson, Pennsylvania State University
2011 Edward St. John, University of Michigan Algo
2010 Anna Neumann, Teachers College-Columbia University